Frequently asked questions
- Check your junk email folder.
- If a link you received by email does not work, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into your browser’s address bar.
- Try logging in with different browsers and devices.
- If you have many email addresses, contact the library and ask them to change the email address in Finna. Try logging in with the new address.
In your Oula-Finna account you can view your own personal information, renew your loans, and place requests. Log into Oula-Finna via the LOGIN link either with your Finna identification, email, or the university’s Haka identification. See login instructions. When logged in you can also save searches and favourites. University of Oulu students and staff can also use the library’s electronic resources remotely by logging in with their Haka identifier.
When you are logged in with a Haka identifier you should automatically be able to view your library card and your loans. If you cannot see a library card in your account, make sure that you have activated the card with Tuudo or connect the library either via chat, by email (kirjasto(a)oulu.fi) or by telephone.
You can update your own contact information in your Oula-Finna account, under ’Profile’. Alternatively, you can notify the library of changes to your contact information by chat, email or telephone, or in person at a library service desk.
University of Oulu and Oamk staff contact information is updated into the library patron register directly from the respective human resources management systems. All changes to the contact information should be made directly into said systems.
The item is in the library’s legal deposit archive, and it can only be used in the library. University of Oulu staff members can keep their loans from the legal deposit archive in their offices on campus. In the Pegasus Library there are designated file boxes where library users can keep their reading room loans. They can also be kept in borrowable book trolleys and book lockers in the library.
Items available for reading room/researcher loan are in the closed stacks, and you must order them through Oula-Finna.
You cannot renew your loans if there are active reservations on the items or if your borrowing rights have been suspended.
Your borrowing rights will be suspended 14 days after the loan period has expired or if you have 20 € or more of unpaid fines. Your borrowing rights will be reinstated once you have returned the overdue items and paid the possible late fees.
- You can pay overdue fees in Oula-Finna or at Pegasus Library, Medical Library and Health and Social Care Library service desks by bank or credit card.
- The maximum payable amount of overdue fees is 50 €. If you reach this limit before you have renewed all your loans, please contact the library via chat, by email (kirjasto(a)oulu.fi) or by telephone.
- It is not possible to pay compensation fees for unreturned items that are over 38 days overdue (60 € per item) in Oula-Finna. When you return the overdue item(s) to the library, the compensation fee will be removed from your patron account. If you are unable to return the item(s), please contact the library to sort out the matter.
- Pegasus Library: There is a returns slot next to the Pegasus Library main entrance (door B) where you can return borrowed items also when the campus is closed.
- Oulainen Learning Centre: The returns box is in the hallway next to the entrance of the Learning Centre. You can return your loans there during campus opening hours (weekdays 8.00–15.30).
- Health and Social Care Library: The returns box is in the lobby of the Paasi building when the library is closed; you can return items there only during campus opening hours.
- Medical Library: The returns box is next to an unobstructed entrance located to the left of the main entrance (7A). Entrance 7A entrance has a sign pointing to this entrance.
Yes you can. You can also return library items by post at your own responsibility. Remember to pack the items with care to protect them from moisture during transport and send the package at a Posti service point. Since the library does not have a mobile phone number for arrival notices, packages cannot be sent online.
Address: Oulu University Library P. O. Box 7500 90014 University of Oulu Arrival notice to address: email@example.com
Yes you can. The same library card is valid in all the libraries, or you can order books to the library closest to you via Oula-Finna.
- Use the Oula-Finna basic search to find Finnish and foreign e-books, e-journals and databases.
- For foreign open access and licensed articles, use the e-materials search.
- With Google Scholar you can also find articles published in journals whose subscription has expired, but we still have access to older articles.
- Finnish e-articles and information about them can be found in the Arto tab.
Some of the resources can only be used through their own user interfaces. You will find all the resources in your own field in the Subject Guides. Oula-Finna also has separate lists of databases and e-journals which can be browsed for example by name, discipline or keyword.
If you perform an organized search for example for a systematic review. The databases’ own interfaces often have search functionalities that are not available in Oula-Finna, for example lists of subject headings and tools for refining search results.
In Oula-Finna it is not yet possible to search all the databases available to the University of Oulu, for example:
- Finnish article databases, such as Medic and Terveysportti.
- EBSCO databases, such as Academic Search Premier, Business Source Complete, CINAHL and PsycINFO are not fully included in Oula-Finna searches. If you wish to perform a comprehensive search in EBSCO databases, we recommend that you use EBSCO’s own user interface.
Links to the databases’ own user interfaces can be found in the Oula-Finna database list.
If you are outside the university network, read the instructions for off-campus use of electronic resources. If you still cannot access the resource, contact elele(a)oulu.fi or ask for help in chat.
An interlibrary loan refers to material (original publications or copies) that the library orders for you from another library. All interlibrary loans are subject to a service fee. Further information.
The National Repository Library is a national library under the Ministry of Education and Culture that serves the needs of the scientific, public, and other libraries in Finland. The library is located in Kuopio, and you can request material from there for loan free of charge. The National Repository Library also sends article copies by email to the staff and students of the University of Oulu. Instructions.
You can submit an acquisition request with an online form.
In the library there are plenty of reading places, table groups, workstations, and group study rooms, which can be used for studying both during and outside library opening hours. Further information.
Printing and copying services at the University of Oulu are provided by Canon. There are Canon multi-function devices in all the libraries. You can add jobs to the print queue from library workstations, from your own device that is connected to the (VPN-portal or Eduroam) or by sending the file by email to: mprints(at)oulu.fi, after which you can print out the document with any Canon multi-function device. Log into the MFD with your university ID or RFID card.
More detailed instructions on printing can be found on the ICT Services website. For printing-related problems contact: canon(a)oulu.fi. If you are reporting a problem with a specific device, include its serial number in the message. The serial number can be found on a sticker on the device.
Library users can also use the coin-operated multi-function device on the first floor of the Pegasus Library (20 c per page). You can use this machine to print out documents from all open-access workstations in the library.